Get career exposure, on the job mentoring, and “soft skills” training.
To apply for a GPUAC summer job, please call the Coalition’s Summer WorkReady Hotline at 215-851-1800,
1207 Chestnut Street, 4th flr.
Philadelphia, PA 19107, http://www.mypyn.org/wrAppNow.html
You must have an e-mail address to sign up.
* If you do not have an e-mail address, you can sign-up for free through a web-based e-mail provider such as Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail and MSN.
* If you already have an e-mail address, double-check that it is active (especially if you have not used it in a long time). Also, be certain that it is ‘professional.’ It should not be anything like, firstname.lastname@example.org nor email@example.com, etc. It is a good idea to include your name in your e-mail address. Examples:
First initial, last name: John Doe – Jdoe@emailprovider.com
First name, last name: Jane Doe – Jane.firstname.lastname@example.org
Have the following documents
At your enrollment appointment, you will be asked to show several documents. You should collect all of those documents now. Arriving at your enrollment appointment with all of your documents guarantees that your enrollment will be complete, which is important in determining if you are eligible for summer employment through WorkReady. The following documents are a suggested short-cut to fill out all enrollment paperwork:
* Student ID OR Federal/State/government ID (example: a driver’s license or state ID card)
* Signed Social Security Card
* Birth Certificate
Create or update your resume (only for youth ages 16-21)
If you are between the ages of 16 and 21, you will need to bring a resume to your enrollment appointment.
* If you do not have a resume, you will need to create one. If you already have a resume, review it to make sure it is up-to-date. Have your resume reviewed by an adult.
Register with Selective Service
If you are a male who will be 18 during the summer, you will need to register with selective service:
* Visit http://www.sss.gov and click “Register Online”
* Print the page with your registration number
* Visit your local Post Office to fill out a Selective Service Registration form
Note about Work Permit
If you will be 18 years old, or older as of July 6, 2010 you will not need a work permit. If you have a blue work permit or a yellow work permit listing WorkReady Philadelphia, PYN or the Philadelphia Youth Network as the employer, you do not need to take any action. If you do not have a work permit, you will receive instructions with the application.